Diagnosed with endometriosis and polycystic ovaries at the age of 23, I have experienced fertility issues myself, culminating in IVF. I have a deep, open-hearted appreciation for what you are going through and how this whole fertility thing makes you feel.
I find fertility acupuncture deeply, soul-soothingly satisfying, and my personal history gives me a particular insight and compassion for this work. I offer far more than simply acupuncture, I am a Fertility Support Trained Acupuncturist, and as such, I have a particularly integrated way of working - I will be as interested in your blood hormone levels as I will be in your Chinese medicine diagnostic signs and symptoms. Over the years I have trained with some of the most wonderful, knowledgeable people in this field and my life is peppered with texted scan images which make my heart sing!
I know the whole concept of the Chinese medicine is quite a stretch for people not used to thinking of health in this way. I am more likely to discuss hormone levels than talk about Traditional Chinese Medicine terms such as Liver Qi Stagnation or Spleen Qi Deficiency, while quietly treating you to nourish your fertility from a Chinese medicine perspective.
How I Work
My approach to how I work with my clients has three distinct prongs to it:
- I systematically work through BBT charts, blood tests, scan reports and other hormonal signs and symptoms to try to establish why the magic hasn’t happened.
- I nurture and support fertility, encouraging the body to move into a more fertile state using gentle acupuncture and moxa. I can’t claim scientific rigour to this aspect of what I do, but I know from personal experience in clinic, this is what really helps the magic to happen.
- I work to support and nourish the soul; infertility issues leave people feeling particularly broken, it evokes a deep sense of failure, and hopelessness. I offer compassionate support, and an open, honest space in which my clients are able to start to come to terms with how they feel in order to start to heal - this work is important whether things are successful or not.
I know that not everyone will experience a rainbow at the end of their journey, but I know that the right acupuncturist can make this difficult journey a little bit easier; acupuncture can be a life-changing therapy for someone overwhelmed with the grief and depression that so often accompanies fertility struggles.
I am a member of the British Acupuncture Council and the Acupuncture Fertility Network, a small nationwide group of acupuncturists specialising in the field of fertility acupuncture. I have numerous post-graduate courses under my belt covering different aspects of fertility work including
- acupuncture for endometriosis and PCOS (Jill Glover)
- acupuncture to support IVF (Paul Johnson)
- 'Spermageddon: Male Fertility' (Olivia Krammer-Pojer)
- antenatal acupuncture and prebirth acupuncture (Debra Betts).
I also hold the Advanced Diploma in Fertility Acupuncture, taught by the incredibly knowledgeable Naava Carmen.
If you are wondering about something not covered in my FAQ section, please email me and I will do my best to answer.